Is your smile at risk for an oral accident? Although there are many treatments out there for a variety of oral health issues, it’s best to deal with any problematic situations before they even begin. However, in some cases, damage to your teeth and gums is done very quickly, so you must protect your mouth from any chaos that could come your way.
Listed below are some bad habits that are often present in our everyday lives that you should avoid or exercise caution with:
– Many versions of lip and mouth piercings are made of metal or a hard substance that can easily crack or chip your teeth, or even break off and cause infections, gum damage, and become choking hazards.
– Some food and edibles may be a bit too solid for our teeth, resulting in cracks, fractures, split teeth, and chips, including corn on the cob, hard candy apples, oversized candy canes, and ice.
– Dangerous habits such as smoking and chewing tobacco greatly increase your risk for tooth discoloration, gum disease, and oral cancer.
– If you play any contact sports, make sure to use the appropriate safety gear to not only shield your mouth and jaw from damage but also your overall health as well.
– Never open objects with your mouth, as this is an easy way to break your teeth or damage your gums.
If you would like to schedule an oral examination at Pipestone Dental Center, simply call our dentist office in Pipestone, Minnesota, at our number 507-825-5403. Dr. Mark T. Morgan and our entire team look forward to making your smile shine!